How We Work
Loft employs its own corporate lawyers, accounting experts, and business consultants who have years of experience and expertise with starting and running a Philippine business. We’re committed to delivering consulting and liaison service at the highest standards, and we’ll help you get your business and intellectual property registered promptly and properly.
Trademark Registration Package
Trademark registration confers an exclusive right of the owner to prevent all third parties not having the owner’s consent from using in the course of trade identical or similar signs would result in a likelihood of confusion.
If you need help in registering your business logo or trademark, contact us so we can send you the details of our trademark registration package.
1. A request for registration;
2. The name and address of the applicant;
3. Where the applicant is a juridical entity, the law under which it is organized and existing;
4. The appointment of an agent or representative, if the applicant is not domiciled in the Philippines;
5. Where the applicant claims the priority of an earlier application, an indication of:
- The name of the State with whose national office the earlier application was filed or if filed with an office other than a national office, the name of that office,
- The date on which the earlier application was filed, and
- Where available, the application number of the earlier application;
6. Where the applicant claims color as a distinctive feature of the mark, a statement to that effect as well as the name or names of the color or colors claimed and an indication, in respect of each color, of the principal parts of the mark which are in that color;
7. Where the mark is a three-dimensional mark, a statement to that effect;
8. One or more reproductions of the mark, as prescribed in the Regulations;
9. A transliteration or translation of the mark or of some parts of the mark, as prescribed in the Regulations;
10. The names of the goods or services for which the registration is sought, grouped according to the classes of the Nice Classification, together with the number of the class of the said Classification to which each group of goods or services belongs; and
11. A signature by, or other self-identification of, the applicant or his representative.
Our team here at Loft will help you with these requirements once you avail of our trademark registration service.
1. Application for registration.
2. Formality and substantive examination.
3. Payment of necessary fees which may vary depending on classes of goods and 4. services applicable under the Nice Classification.
5. Search and examination.
6. Publication for opposition (for 30 days).
7. Issuance of Certificate of Registration.
8. Publication of Registered Trademark.
The period of protection of a trademark registration is ten (10) years from the date of registration and is renewable for a period of ten (10) years at a time.
A trademark registration must be maintained by filing Declarations of Actual Use of the mark, with accompanying evidence of its use, on certain periods. The trademark owner’s work does not end with securing the certificate of trademark registration.
Although the validity of registration lasts for ten years, it is still dependent on the owner’s compliance with the maintenance requirements mandated by the Philippine IP Code and the implementing rules and regulations.
- Within three (3) years from the filing date of the application**;
- Within one (1) year from the fifth anniversary of the registration of the mark;
- Within one (1) year from renewal of a trademark registration; and
- Within one (1) year from the fifth anniversary of each renewal.
Please send us an inquiry through our website's contact form so we can email you these details.
Copyright Registration Package
Copyright is the legal protection extended to the owner of the rights in an original work. “Original work” refers to every production in the literary, scientific and artistic domain. Among the literary and artistic works enumerated in the IP Code includes books and other writings, musical works, films, paintings and other works, and computer programs.
Our team here at Loft will help you apply for copyright protection once you avail of our copyright registration service.
Copyright laws grant authors, artists and other creators automatic protection for their literary and artistic creations, from the moment they create it. The creators of works protected by copyright hold the exclusive right to use or authorize others to use the work on agreed terms.
The right holder(s) of a work can authorize or prohibit: its reproduction in all forms, including print form and sound recording, public performance and communication to the public, broadcasting, translation into other languages, and adaptation, such as from a novel to a screenplay for a film.
Works covered by copyright that can be deposited with IPOPHL are, but are not limited to:
1. Filled-out registration form; and
2. Digital copy of work
1. Application for copyright registration
2. Evaluation of submitted work
3. Payment of necessary fees.
4. Issuance of Certificate of Registration and Deposit
Our team here at Loft will help you with these steps once you avail of our copyright registration service.
The term of protection for copyright in literary and artistic works, and in derivative works is generally the lifetime of the author plus fifty (50) years. However, different rules may apply in following:
- Works of joint authorship
- Works of anonymous or pseudonymous works
- Photographic works
- Works of applied art
- Audio-visual works
Patent Application Service
An invention patent is a government-issued grant, bestowing an exclusive right to an inventor over a product or process that provides any technical solution to a problem in any field of human activity which is new, inventive, and industrially applicable.
A patent is an exclusive right that allows the inventor to exclude others from making, using, or selling the product of his invention during the life of the patent. Patent owners may also give permission to, or license, other parties to use their inventions on mutually agreed terms. Owners may also sell their invention rights to someone else, who then becomes the new owner of the patent.
If you’re interested in applying for a patent, inquire about our intellectual property services here at Loft so we can help you secure one.
The Intellectual Property Code of the Philippines sets three conditions for an invention to be deemed patentable:
- It has to be new;
- Involves an inventive step; and
- Industrially applicable.
1. Patent application form;
2. Specification and description of the patent:
- The Title
- A brief statement of its nature and purposes
- Brief explanation of the drawings, if any
- Complete and detailed enabling description
- Distinct and explicit claim or claims which the applicant seeks to be protected
- Abstract of the invention
- Drawings of the invention
1. Patent Search
2. Application for grant of Patent.
3. Formality examination.
4. Prior art search.
5. Payment of necessary fees.
6. Publication for opposition (18 months from filing/priority date).
7. Substantive examination.
8. Issuance of Letters Patent Certificate.
9. Publication of Granted Patents.
Our team here at Loft will help you with these steps once you avail of our patent application service.
The term of a patent shall be twenty (20) years from the filing date of the application. The patent must be maintained yearly, starting from the 5th year.